Being both jobless and homeless is a vicious cycle. You can’t get a job when you don’t have a place to live, and you can’t get a place to live without a job. AimHire offers people a way out. This program utilizes the Employment First Model to empower participants who are experiencing unemployment to find jobs.
We take a personalized approach with each and every participant, helping them assess their skills and interests. Participants in our program are often able to draw from past work experience. Many have been displaced from the workforce by a major life event and simply need tools and services to reconnect and make their job-search process less difficult. We look at the barriers to stable employment, such as incarceration, felonies and substance abuse, and address special accommodations participants need.
Our staff consists of employment specialists supported by a dedicated team of skilled volunteers. Volunteers provide one-to-one mentoring on a wide variety of job readiness topics, provide resume writing assistance, and help participants submit job applications online in the AimHire computer lab. They also help create job opportunities by reaching out to potential employers in the community.
Learn more about about the Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program (HVRP) by clicking here.
In 2022, AimHire helped 136 participants obtain jobs with an average pay rate of $16.20 hourly. AimHire helped 136 participants obtain jobs, including participants under a DC-funded Jobs First grant, which Friendship Place spearheaded.
Who We Serve
We assist individuals seeking new or improved employment opportunities. However, due to a staff shortage, we are currently only accepting applications for the following programs:
1. Family Fund Employment Program: Individuals currently experiencing homelessness with dependents may qualify. For screening and intake, please contact our Employment Specialist, Halimah Boyd-Asagwara, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. HVRP Employment Program: Veterans experiencing homelessness (with honorable and other-than-honorable discharge status) may qualify. For screening and intake, please contact email@example.com.
Please note, Wednesday orientations are temporarily suspended. Kindly check back for updates.
Where We Serve
The AimHire program connects participants with employers in Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia areas.
How You Can help
AimHire is not a one-size-fits all placement program. Graduation is a job. You can help us end or prevent homelessness in the following ways:
- Hire a participant.
- Provide a participant with an internship or volunteer opportunity.
- Enroll a participant in your apprenticeship or training program.
- Mentor a participant.
- Introduce the AimHire staff to your professional network.
- Facilitate a connection to an employer you know that’s hiring.
- Make a generous tax-deductible donation to Friendship Place.